Spring is the favorite season of every gardening enthusiast because it is busting with possibilities. Of course, there is a lot of work involved as well, but when you love what you are doing, it counts more as a pleasure than a demanding activity.
Since you are reading this blog, we believe it is safe to assume we share the same passion for gardening, therefore we thought it would be very useful to conceive a check-list of spring activities in the garden. This way, you can be sure you don’t miss anything and you might get some new ideas as well.
Like any other project,
– Write down what vegetables you want to plant this year and buy the seeds and bulbs.
– Establish how much time you are willing to dedicate to this activity and plan accordingly. Remember, this is supposed to be fun and relaxing, there is no point in biting more than you can chew.
– Prepare containers to start your seeds. Plastic cups are ideal for this and you can also recycle some you already used.
– Design the layout of your garden on a piece of paper.
Once you finished planning, it’s time for some real work – preparation for planting.
– You should start with the cleaning process so weed any young spring weeds.
– Prepare the garden beds. Make sure you dress them with compost and manure.
Now it’s time to start the actual planting.
– Not all vegetables are planted during this season so make sure you chose the right type. To serve as example, you can plant onions, potatoes, peas, spinach and lettuce.
– Make sure your seedlings are protected from frost. Spring has some rather cold nights and your plants might get to suffer. Cut some plastic bottles into halves and use them to cover the seedlings.
– Remember to divide perennials and share them with your friends.
Enjoy your spring!
photo via 1, 2