Even if the cold and frost have arrived, the gardeners cannot rest. Things can be done in the garden all year round, even in the cooler months. Regardless of where you live, plants will need care to start spring off on the ‘right footing’. But what things can be done in the garden during winter?…
Each year, you consider it your duty to transform the garden into a friendly environment for your friends and family. Today, we are asking you: have you ever considered the more… unusual guests? The ones you never invite but nevertheless they always come to make your day more beautiful? We are referring, of course, to the birds, butterflies and ladybugs.
If you love the sound of birds, you have to think about making their stay as comfortable as possible.
1. If you don’t have a water fountain, place a big vessel
2. Create a “wild spot” where plants can grow freely, without being cut or pruned. If something dies and dries, leave it there – birds will use it for their nests. Don’t forget, an excessively neat garden keeps these “guests” away.
3. You can also leave the grass grow freely on a portion of your lawn. So make sure you don’t maw everything. This will attract the birds to nest and feed with the seeds.
4. Last, but not least, put up some bird houses and leave some food there. You can either buy the houses in stores (home decor, cash and carry etc.) or improvise them. Birds are not that picky when it comes to shelters. Here are some ideas:
– An old tea pot
– A boot that no longer has its sibling
– A regular plastic box
By constructing a bird house, you will help these animals find shelter when the weather is not very friendly, but the decor value of these is not to be ignored. Besides this, it’s a very fun and relaxing activity that also teaches children a few things about their responsibility towards nature.